The May sew-in dates are set for May 16-18, 2015 at the Ernest White Center in Pell City AKA the regular meeting place. Jill D will be teaching a bargello class during the sew-n. Silly me, it is NOT the version of bargello that I had emailed out to you! THESE are her examples of what you can do.
Jill says “This will be a wall hanging, and teaches the bargello technique which can be adapted to larger quilts. The project is called Bargello With Personality. ”
All fabrics need to be 42″ wide fabrics (fat quarters not appropriate).
Choose 8 to 12 fabrics that work well together (see examples) with nice contrasts and coordination. You will need between 1/8 and 1/4 yard of most of them. Bring 1/2 yard of each for focus fabric (the tiger print in one example), and your top and bottom fabrics. We will “audition” and choose fabrics in the class. You may not need them all.
Also you will need backing fabric, which can be pieced if necessary.
The koi hanging is 27 wide by 42 long. Tiger is 32 wide by 41 long. So 1-1/4 yard of backing should be enough.
I hope you enjoy this project as much as I have!
ED. note: this will also be mailed out to you in a pdf format so you can print it out with pictures for inspiration or use this link Bargello Class
Jill has prepared a document that states EXACTLY what this is all about and you may find it at the link above to print out for home use. Have fun with it!
It is in pdf format but I also have it in the original docx format. If you cannot open it, let me know.
Isn’t this year’s Opportunity Quilt beautiful? A gorgeous pieced block and applique in the borders is hard to resist. Tickets will be available soon!
You may feel as though you are seeing double though. There is a second top just like this! Members will have an opportunity to have it come live in their home by helping to quilt and bind it translate to chances added to the drawing. The Ernest White Center is open on Wednesdays to help.
There is a lot going on for Friendship Quilters Guild in March!
- If you are like me, you are finishing up the Children’s Book Theme Challenge quilt entry. Terry Dailey will be visiting us at the Saturday, March 14th meeting, in costume, to collect our quilts and books for the Clown Ministry at Children’s Hospital
- In addition, we are having a quilter’s garage sale that same day.
- The following week it is time for our 3 day sew-in event. We normally do these quarterly and this is the first one for 2015. Hope you can attend March 19-21
- The guild is doing a rotating quilt exhibit at the Pell City Library to celebrate National Quilting Month. Contact Peggy or Becky for details
- We will be judging the 4-H quilts at a date to be determined.
- Of course, the small informal meetings are on for Wednesdays and 1st and 3rd Thursdays–that is, when the weather cooperates! Raise your hand if you are more than ready for Spring to get here!
- Soon we will be quilting he opportunity quilts for next year’s quilt show
As you can see, there is no shortage of events for you to participate in and enjoy.
As you know we are coming to the close of the 2014 program year for Friendship Quilters Guild in a few short months. That means it is time to think of electing officers and appointing the standing committees.
To that end, you have been asked to review a Committee Interest form and sign up where you would like to serve. An email was sent out to all of you and forms will be available at the meeting. If you are unable to open a docx file, I am posting a pdf version of it here on the website as well. There have been some revisions over the current program year so duties may have been added or changed to fit the guild’s needs.
Click up on the page tab that says “Misc Forms” or right here.
Hope to see you soon!