There is a lot going on for Friendship Quilters Guild in March!
- If you are like me, you are finishing up the Children’s Book Theme Challenge quilt entry. Terry Dailey will be visiting us at the Saturday, March 14th meeting, in costume, to collect our quilts and books for the Clown Ministry at Children’s Hospital
- In addition, we are having a quilter’s garage sale that same day.
- The following week it is time for our 3 day sew-in event. We normally do these quarterly and this is the first one for 2015. Hope you can attend March 19-21
- The guild is doing a rotating quilt exhibit at the Pell City Library to celebrate National Quilting Month. Contact Peggy or Becky for details
- We will be judging the 4-H quilts at a date to be determined.
- Of course, the small informal meetings are on for Wednesdays and 1st and 3rd Thursdays–that is, when the weather cooperates! Raise your hand if you are more than ready for Spring to get here!
- Soon we will be quilting he opportunity quilts for next year’s quilt show
As you can see, there is no shortage of events for you to participate in and enjoy.
As you know we are coming to the close of the 2014 program year for Friendship Quilters Guild in a few short months. That means it is time to think of electing officers and appointing the standing committees.
To that end, you have been asked to review a Committee Interest form and sign up where you would like to serve. An email was sent out to all of you and forms will be available at the meeting. If you are unable to open a docx file, I am posting a pdf version of it here on the website as well. There have been some revisions over the current program year so duties may have been added or changed to fit the guild’s needs.
Click up on the page tab that says “Misc Forms” or right here.
Hope to see you soon!
Please note that the September guild meeting is cancelled so that members can attend this event or the Lick Skillet Quilt show in Oxford, AL which is on the same dates.
Thanks to Lorri J for sharing this information.
The AQS show will be held September 11-13, 2014 (Thursday through Saturday) at the Chattanooga Convention Center, 1150 Carter St., Chattanooga, TN 37402
Show hours are Weds-Friday 9-6; Saturday 9-5
Tickets are available at the door $11.00 for AQS members for one day, retail $14.00 but they also have 2 day tickets for $20.00 for AQS members and $25.00 retail
We are staying at the Sheraton Read House Hotel Sept 11-13.
More information is available online at http://www.quiltweek.com/locations/chattanooga/. That is where you will find workshop information during the show though Lorri indicated that Julia C. Wood who wrote the Quick and Easy Hexie Quilts book with Dr. Dorothy Rhodes will be there. Friday she is doing a “Hexie Quilts” workshop from 8:30-4 for $110.00 and Thursday a lecture entitled “Let’s Hexie” from 10-11 for $30.00. Dr. Rhodes spoke at Friendship Quilters a few months ago.
OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST AT SHOW TIME
- Thursday, Sept 11 from 6-9 p.m. The Hamilton Place Mall is having over 50 local quilts displayed. Free shuttle service from the convention center and special drawing and coupons http://www.hamiltonplace.com/
- Sunday, Chattanooga Farmers Market: cast iron cook off with fresh ingredients cooked in front of you, judged show
- Weds-Friday 3-8 pm, Chattanooga Work Space will have Quilts of Chattanooga Trunk Show and exhibition http://chattanoogaworkspace.com/Friday
- Friday 4-6 at Main Terrain Park downtown Chattanooga Symphony will perform classical selections. Bring your own quilt. http://www.chattanoogafun.com/quilting-events/329/Main-Terrain-Park
Have fun, y’all. It is my understanding from viewing the AQS site that Chattanooga will be one of the show sites for 3 years, this being the first. Can’t go this time, then maybe next year!!
This past meeting the drawing was held for the Granny Square patterned opportunity quilt. The winner was Vasha R who several of our members know from the Birmingham guild. Antoinette called her from the meeting to tell her the good news. Later, she sent this note along with a photo at delivery time.
"Vasha, winner of the opportunity quilt, met me Saturday to receive her
quilt. She couldn't wait till Monday for the B'ham Quilt Guild meeting."
If you had gotten the word that you had won this gorgeous quilt, or any of the countless opportunity quilts we hope to win, could you have waited?? Congratulations to you, Vasha.
Please note that the donation quilt form has been changed up a bit. The new form has been posted on the donation quilt tab here on the web page for your convenience in both Word doc format and a pdf version.
Please use this one for submitting your “ABC or first letter of your first name” challenge quilts tomorrow at the July 12, 2014 meeting and any subsequent donation quilts.
The challenge quilts, however, will be going to Project Linus. In fact, the coordinator will be coming to accept the completed quilts after our show and tell portion of the meeting.
Also those quilts should have a Friendship Quilters label on them; Shelia kindly made up a bunch of them and passed out at the June meeting. You didn’t get one? Guess you better plan on bringing a needle and thread along with you!! Think we quilters can come up with either of those items?
Your webmistress will get some clarification from the coordinators Naomi and Jackie if all of our quilts need that Friendship Quilters label from here on out and update this note.
Hope to see you there!.